Monday, February 16, 2009

capturing memorable moments




I've always like to look into other cultures. I find interesting that all of them have their differences. That's why I chose to read the essay Fish Cheeks by Amy Tan. Ive read the Joy luck club and immediately like the way she wrote.I think she really captures many feelings people feel when they are from a different background and they are the first generation in the U.S. In this essay she explains how embarrassed she was when her crush the ministers son and his family came for Xmas dinner to her Chinese home.She explains some of the customs and food that her family usually prepared and how she wanted to disappear.I especially liked what her mother told her when she gave her the skirt "But inside, you must always be Chinese. You must be proud you different. You only shame is be ashamed."those are powerful wise words.I also believe that even though you are born i the U.S. you must love and embrace your roots and the culture that your family has.
Since I am Mexican I uploaded this still from a DVD called the spirit of Mexico which is a mariachi playing his violin.  He looks like he loves what he does.That DVD is all about mariachis and their passion for the Mexican music, many of them were not even born in Mexico but they appreciate the music and the culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment